Thursday, June 10, 2010

June 10 - Tarragona, Sitges, International Chamber of Commerce

Okay, I decided to catch up with my posts, so Ill fill you in on what I've done since Park Guell and the Sagrada Familia.

Dan, Cara, and I went out to have drinks with the Colorado girls from school on Friday night but we didn't stay out too late because we had plans to go to Tarragona, Spain on Saturday morning. We went back to the place called Guru near Las Ramblas, walked around a little more, then called it a night.

[Tarragona]
Saturday morning, we took the renfe train to tarragona from sants estacio metro station. The round trip ticket was just under €12. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to Tarragona by train. The train was packed, so we had to hang out in the aisle for most of the trip.

Once we got to Tarragona, we walked out of the train station and started looking at a city map that was posted on a street corner. A friendly old man asked us (speaking spanish) where we wanted to go and he pointed us in the right direction. We didn't even have to ask him for help. Once we started walking up the street, he had already met another group of tourists and had them holding his little dog while he took their group picture in front of the sea. He sure knows how to make friends!

We bought a day pass for the various museums of Roman ruins. We went to the stadium, the Roman circus (not a circus like we know it), and the Roman wall. It doesn't matter which way we went, I felt like I was walking up hill the entire time. I absolutely loved Tarragona, though. It had the small town feel that I like--no traffic, very few tourists...wonderful.

If I went back, I might try out the beach there. We didn't eat anything while we were there other than ice cream. We bought our first ice cream once we got there and then went to a different spot on the walk back to the train station for another scoop! If I were tempted to eat anything there, some of the restaurants on the Ramblas strip looked good.

[Sitges]
Thanks to a planned strike among government workers, our classes were canceled a week ahead of time for Tuesday. Since I was worn down by all the walking (the pedometer built into my phone said I walked 30 miles during the 3 days prior), I decided to go with a group of students from school to a town called Sitges. I had one plan: to lay out on the beach all day once we got there.

I was a little lost this time while looking for the train station because I was going to get on at passeig de gracias station instead of Sants, like I had done for Tarragona. I asked about 5 people for directions--each person pointed me in a different direction. I concluded that either there was a conspiracy against me or that no one knew what they were talking about. I finally made it to the right place and bought my ticket after walking back and forth a few times between city blocks (OH! and since the strike was going on, I had to fight my way through the middle of a parade march twice!!-- a whole bunch of people were blowing whistles and holding up signs) The train ticket was under €7, round trip. The train ride was about 35-40 mins.

The beaches at Sitges apparently stretch for quite a ways, but our lazy butts plopped down at the first beach area we came to. It was nice because the sunbathers had more room to lay out, it was quieter, and I actually think the water might have been warmer than in Barcelona.

Katrina, Collette, and I ate lunch beside the beach. Katrina and I split a pitcher of sangria and I ate a sandwich made of fried calamari rings. Yummmy. For dessert, I went across the street for some italian style gelato (more ice cream).

The sun was so warm but it wasn't too hot--it was another perfect day! I'm so happy with how we spent our day off from school.


[International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)- Spain]

Today after class, Dan and I signed up to meet with the Director of Communication (Jordi) of the Spanish International Chamber of Commerce.

Jordi talked to us and answered our questions for nearly 2 hours. There were around 10 of us students. The ICC is really interesting because it not only provides a source of arbitration for international business, but it also creates rules and standards which are followed internationally. The ICC works with the World Trade Organization, the United Nations, and other intergovernmental bodies.

Jordi really sparked my interest in arbitration. I'll have to look more into that....:P

No comments:

Post a Comment