Monday, June 21, 2010

June 20 - Last days in Barcelona


June 20, 2010

Finals are over for my international law classes!  I hope I did okay  At least they are pass/fail!

[Lunch on Friday]
Ina and I took the metro to las Ramblas after we finished our last final for lunch.  We walked around the shops for a little while and she bought a dress.  While we were looking for a place to eat, some guy on the street handed Ina a flyer for his restaurant.  She said it looked like a good place---I looked at the flyer and it was a Peruvian restaurant!  I havenÆt had Peruvian food since I studied abroad in Lima two years ago!  I ordered ceviche and lomo saltado.  We both ordered Pisco Sours! Yummmmàmy favorite drink.

[The Magic Fountain of Montjuic]

I walked from las Ramblas to Placa Espanya later Friday evening to see the Magic Fountain. In the plaza on the way to the fountain, there was a Harley Davidson motorcycle convention, ôHarley Daysö!  Yes, Spain has Harley riders, too!  There were hundreds of bikes in the plaza both Friday and Saturday.  Harley even had a test drive event for freeùpeople could take a Harley of their choice for a spin!

The fountain IS magic.  It changes shape and color and synchronized with music.  It shoots water higher than any other fountain IÆve seen.  It really looked like it shot up several stories into the air.  If you compare the size of the people standing in front of it in my photos, you can have a better idea of how large it is.

Click HERE to view video of the magic fountain.

[The Catalonian National Museum of Art]

The art museum has a variety of art pieces, including sculptures, paintings, parts of old buildings (columns and wall-coverings), and photos (more recent).  The majority of all the art pieces featured in the museum are faith-based.  I need to do some research about all the art that depicted figures making a hand gesture where they are holding up two fingers and curving the thumb inward.  I donÆt know what that symbolized, but it must have some significance, judging from all the art featuring that hand gesture.

Particularly interesting was a piece that had four painted scenes that showed different ways that people could be tortured to death.  In one scene, a man was being sawed in half from the head down.  In another, a man was being cut all over to slowly bleed to death.

I liked the marble sculptures the most. Two of my favorites were of a girl leaning over with long hair and another marble statue that was mixed with a bronze statueùthe mixture of the two media creates an interesting contrast.

[The Poble Espanol  (The Spanish Village)]

With my discounted combined ticket to the museum, I was able to visit Poble Espanol for only a few euros more than my museum ticket.  The walk from the museum was 5mins.  The Spanish Village is a fake town that was created to mimic the architecture seen throughout Spain.  There are many souvenir shops in the buildings and several places to eat.  It reminded me of walking through the side streets of Tarragona.  I thought it was pretty cool because even though I knew it was fake, the buildings were real and it felt like it was part of a small town!

[Origen 99.9%]

Dan and I ate at Origen 99.9% for a second time during our last night as roommates in Barcelona. The restaurant is close to our apartment and it was unique for its claim that 99.9% of the food it served originated in Catalonia. The beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, and cheese were all raised in Catalonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment